Hello and thanks for stopping by! Summer is most definitely here, and with its arrival we have fresh garlic scapes from our cabin garden! Garlic scapes are the stem and bloom that a garlic plant sends up when the weather gets hot. This is best nipped off early, in order to encourage the plant to put its energy into the garlic bulb instead, which produces a larger harvest later in the summer. And you get double the reward for your hard work planting garlic in the fall!
If you have never enjoyed garlic scapes, I encourage you to give them a try when you have the opportunity! You can usually find them in early summer at farm stands and farmer’s markets. They have a lovely crunchy texture and a mild garlic flavor. They are great anywhere garlic would be, especially in salads, soups, and (the way that I generally use them) in this wonderful egg scramble!
Ingredients (per serving):
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cooking fat of choice
- 2 slices cooked bacon, chopped or crumbled
- 1 garlic scape, chopped up into 1/4″ lengths
- 2 organic, pastured eggs, whisked together
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- Add onion and cooking fat to a well-seasoned or ceramic skillet (to minimize sticking). Sauté about 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped bacon to the pan, and cook until the onion becomes soft and translucent, and the bacon crisps up (about 1 minute more).
- Add the whisked eggs, and the goat cheese, lower the heat and stir constantly until eggs are fully cooked, breaking up any clumps.
- Serve immediately. A couple of dashes of hot pepper sauce adds a nice kick!
Did you enjoy this post? Tell your friends! 🙂 Use the “Share” buttons below. Sharing is caring!
If you would like to help keep us going, there are two more ways you can easily help us to keep bringing you quality content and information – for FREE! (Unfortunately, the ads that you see here benefit WordPress, not us.)
1. Please click the “follow” link at the top of this sidebar, and
2. Use this affiliate link when shopping on Amazon
Please note: Links to products are affiliate links.
Please also note: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While this low carb diet experiment has worked well for me so far, your mileage may vary. This diet needs to be balanced correctly, in order to avoid potential side effects. It is always a good idea to discuss any major health decisions with your doctor before getting started.