We’re back, with another dose of hearty comfort food, that fits very nicely into a low carb lifestyle! Featuring ground caraway seed, cauliflower and slightly pickled cabbage, Kohl-cannon (from Blumenkohl which is the German name for cauliflower) is a decidedly German twist on Colcannon, a traditional Irish dish made with potatoes. This has quickly become a favorite here at the cabin, where we enjoy it with a few pasture-raised pan-fried sausage links on the side! Delicious!
- 4 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 4 packed cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 3 Tablespoons. butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups whole milk cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caraway seed
- Chopped scallion (optional) for garnish
- About 4 hours before you would like to eat, chop up cabbage and add to a large bowl.
- Add dill and vinegar to cabbage, stir until well mixed.
- Cover and let cabbage marinate in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave cauliflower in a covered dish with a little water until tender (or boil in water on stove top for about 10 minutes).
- Drain/squeeze out as much water as possible, add sour cream and cottage cheese.
- Whip/mash using immersion blender.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Sauté onions in butter for 5 minutes
- Add ground caraway, and cabbage. Cook until cabbage is tender.
- Remove from heat and combine with cauliflower mixture.
- Season to taste.
- Spread into a deep, buttered oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle paprika/chopped scallion (optional) over top.
- Bake at 350° uncovered for 35 – 40 minutes, until edges brown.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy! We add pan-fried sausages to the plate for a hearty, winter meal.
Did you enjoy this post? Tell your friends! 🙂 Use the “Share” buttons below.
If you would like to help keep us going, there are two more ways you can easily help us to keep bringing you quality content and information – for FREE! (Unfortunately, the ads that you see here benefit WordPress, not us.)
1. Please click the “follow” link at the top of this sidebar, and
2. Use this affiliate link when shopping on Amazon
Please note: Links to products are affiliate links.
Please also note: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While this low carb diet experiment has worked well for me so far, your mileage may vary. This diet needs to be balanced correctly, in order to avoid potential side effects. It is always a good idea to discuss any major health decisions with your doctor before getting started.