Hi folks! Thanks for stopping by. Here’s what’s cooking at the cabin this week: This hearty stew goes together quickly, then simmers all day to tenderize the meat and meld the flavors. Chuck or round are cheaper cuts of beef that can be further tenderized by cutting across the grain when making your cubes. Peas and carrots make this a liberal, low-carb dish.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast Stew
6 hearty servings
- 3 pounds chuck or round roast (or steaks), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound baby carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small celery stalk, chopped (or 1/2 tsp celery seed)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups chicken or beef bone broth
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tablespoon potato starch (to thicken, if desired)
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Put all ingredients except peas and potato starch into a 6 quart crock pot.
- Cook on High 6 hours OR Low 9 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Add peas and potato starch (if desired), cook 30 min more, until thickened.
Did you enjoy this post? Tell your friends! 🙂 Use the “Share” buttons below.
If you would like to help keep us going, there are two more ways you can easily help us to keep bringing you quality content and information – for FREE! (Unfortunately, the ads that you see here benefit WordPress, not us.)
1. Please click the “follow” link at the top of this sidebar, and
2. Use this affiliate link when shopping on Amazon
Please note: Links to products are Affiliate Links.
Please also note: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While this low carb lifestyle experiment has worked well for me so far, your mileage may vary. This diet needs to be balanced correctly, in order to avoid potential side effects. It is always a good idea to discuss any major health decisions with your doctor before getting started.