Hello friends! Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. We’re in full-on holiday mode here at our little cabin, cooking, baking, enjoying the snow, and feeding an ever-hungry wood stove (it’s been a chilly few days/nights here)!
OK so the idea of a caveman enjoying cookies is admittedly a tad farfetched… But these are whole, grain-free food, and so in the spirit of the season here’s our primal take on a classic holiday cookie – just slightly sweet and with a nice, crisp crunch! These come together quickly – I can crank out a batch of about 20 cookies in a half-hour!
Ingredients (makes about 20 cookies):
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp or more flavoring of your choice*
- Coconut oil spray (if needed)
- Heat your pizzelle iron.
- Beat the eggs, melted butter, syrup and flavoring together.
- In a second bowl, mix the flour, tapioca and soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until smooth.
- Once the iron is hot, spray with coconut oil (if not non-stick), and spoon a tablespoon of batter into center of each pattern on the iron.
- Carefully close the iron for about 8-10 seconds until golden
- Quickly remove each cookie to a cooling rack.
- Very important: Let the cookies cool in a single layer so they can crisp up, before stacking them to cool further.
*You can use any flavoring extract you’d like for this. Some popular flavors are vanilla, almond, anise and orange.
Please note: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While this Primal lifestyle experiment has worked well for me so far, your mileage may vary. This diet needs to be balanced correctly, in order to avoid potential side effects. It is always a good idea to discuss any major health decisions with your doctor before getting started.
Links to products are affiliate links. Click here to learn more.
Did you enjoy this post? If you would like to help keep us going, there are two ways you can easily help us to keep bringing you quality content and information – for FREE! (Unfortunately, the ads that you see here benefit WordPress, not us.)
1. Please click the “follow” link at the top of the sidebar, and 2. use this affiliate link when shopping on Amazon. We will get a small percentage of your total purchase as a commission for sending you there. Thank you for your support!