One of my all-time favorite meals is Spaghetti Bolognese. Once we adopted the Paleo / Primal lifestyle (which advocates eliminating grains), one of our first challenges was to find a substitute for the pasta in this dish! We tried making zucchini noodles, or “zoodles”, and have never looked back! Lightly sautéed for just a minute or two, they act like pasta noodles, but have a slight crunch that really wakes up this dish!
Makes 6 servings
- olive oil
- 1lb grass fed ground beef
- 1lb grass fed ground pork
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 30 oz. jar of your favorite low-carb marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- basil & oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 large (or 6 small) zucchini
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Chop the onion and garlic. Add to a large pot with a little olive oil, the ground beef and pork. Cook, until medium done, breaking up the meat into smaller chunks.
- Add the marinara. Use the wine/vermouth to swish out the jar and add to the pot. Add the herbs and spices.
- Simmer 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, peel zucchini and cut into zoodles using julienne peeler (be careful–it’s very sharp!). Sautee zoodles in a little bit of olive oil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and immediately top with sauce and fresh grated parmesan cheese.
Note: We cook the zoodles fresh each night. Not sure how they would keep in the fridge. We have had a tip that you can prep the zoodles ahead and set them on paper towels to remove some of the excess water if you find the sautéed noodles too watery. We have not found this to be the case, as long as we don’t overcook them. They should have a little crunch left.
Here is a link to the peeler we bought. (affiliate link)We love it! It is easy to use, and it has held up to a lot of zoodle making this summer! A word of caution: this is a very sharp tool and it is not recommended for use by children.
Did you enjoy this post? If you would like to help keep us going, there are two ways you can easily help us to keep bringing you quality content and information – for FREE! (Unfortunately, the ads that you see here benefit WordPress, not us.)
1. Please click the “follow” link at the top of the sidebar, and 2. use this affiliate link when shopping on Amazon. We will get a small percentage of your total purchase as a commission for sending you there. Thank you for your support!
Please also note: I am not a doctor or nutritionist. While the Primal Lifestyle has worked well for me so far, your mileage may vary. This diet needs to be balanced correctly, in order to avoid potential side effects. It is always a good idea to discuss any major health decisions with your doctor before getting started.